Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is the leading source of free, expert, and confidential technical assistance on workplace accommodations, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related legislation, and self-employment options for people with disabilities. Working toward practical solutions that benefit both employer and employee, JAN helps people with disabilities enhance their employability, and shows employers how to capitalize on the value and talent that people with disabilities add to the workplace.
Technical assistance is available over the phone, Skype, Email, online Chat, or through various social networking tools.JAN also offers training, research, and a comprehensive Website ofpractical educational materials including the Searchable Online Accommodation Resource.Those who can benefit from JAN's services include private employers, government agencies, and service providers, as well as people with disabilities and their families. JAN is a service of the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP).
More specifically, JAN provides:
- Personalized consultation on workplace accommodation solutions
- Product information for technologies used as accommodations in the workplace
- Localized referrals to service organizations and government agencies throughout the U.S.
- On-site, online, and archived training
- Technical assistance on entrepreneurship for people with disabilities
- The most comprehensible Website available on practical job accommodations
- The latest evidenced based research on the cost of accommodation
- Accessibility reviews and technical assistance regarding online application systems
Private and public employers should call JAN whenever they have questions arising from hiring, retaining, or promoting employees with disabilities. JAN can help with technical assistance on practical accommodations solutions at every stage of employment; the interactive accommodation process; obligations under ADA as Amended, as well as other disability legislation including the Rehabilitation Act; physical site and electronic accessibility; assistive technologies; and the business case for disability inclusion.
JAN Consultants can be reached M-F 9am-6pm ET by
- Phone - (800) 526-7234 (voice); (877) 781-9403 (TTY)
- Email - jan@AskJAN.org
- Skype - Janconsultants
- Text - (304) 216-8189
- Chat available online at http://AskJAN.org
Access JAN's Web and On-line Services 24 hours 7 days a week
- Website - http://AskJAN.org
- Searchable Online Accommodation Resource (SOAR) - http://AskJAN.org/soar/index.htm
- A to Z of Disabilities and Accommodations - http://askjan.org/links/atoz.htm
- Training Portal - http://AskJAN.org/training/overview.htm including JAN's Just-in-Time multimedia library
- Social Network Venues - http://askjan.org/topics/socialnets.htm including http://twitter.com/JANatJAN (Twitter) and https://www.facebook.com/JobAccommodationNetwork (Facebook)